Thursday, June 23, 2011

2011-2012 CITL Director of Communications Candidate - Vivek Chachcha

Below is what Vivek wrote for his campaign:

Hey everyone,

My name is Vivek Chachcha and I am a grade 10 IB student at Victoria Park CI. Unfortunately I have not had the chance to meet many of you, but hopefully I will get the opportunity to meet all of you at the upcoming festival.

I only discovered my love for chess about a year ago when I was stuck with no internet and the only interesting game on my computer was chess. I often visit the local library and through these visit I eventually discovered two great things: the Youth Advisory Group (YAG) for Brookbanks library and CITL. I have been a volunteer for Chess in the Library at Brookbanks Library for the past year now and find the experience greatly rewarding.

While I have not yet had the chance to contribute as much as I would like to the program I think this is the perfect opportunity for me to give back to CITL. I personally believe that CITL is one of the greatest programs offered at the Toronto Public Libraries. It creates an environment for players to meet and play with each other while at the same time providing the opportunity for new players to learn and discover the great game of chess.

Despite these great attributes of the program, I think Chess in the Library could be improved with a new and up-to-date website. The internet has become the number one pass time for youth and children alike and by creating and maintaining a newer website, CITL has the potential to expand its horizons even more.

I have been a part of several web design teams over the past years and have become adept at dealing with CSS, HTML, Flash, and PHP as well. Here are some websites that I have helped develop and help maintain right now:

http://pantherpress.ca/

http://victoriaparkci.com/

http://forum.youthactionnetwork.org/

I have the motivation, the skills, and the passion for this job; so when you are voting this Saturday morning, please vote for Vivek Chachcha as your Director of Communications!

Thank you for taking the time to read this speech!

No comments:

Post a Comment